What is a weekend leave?
On any open weekend, students may request a leave to visit family or friends. Students are free after their school day at 4:00 pm on Saturday and must return to CITYterm in time for Sunday dinner at 5:30 pm. While students are free to request weekend leave as often as they like, CITYterm is a program built on living in community and exploring the city together, so we ask students to balance weekends away with investing in the CITYterm community. Please note that as CITYterm fully utilizes the 16 short weeks of the semester, we are unable to accommodate special requests for early departures and late returns.
How to request a leave?
It is the student’s responsibility to coordinate their own leave requests. Students follow a five step process in order to successfully request a leave:
- Turn in leave sheet to weekend leave mailbox (located with the faculty mailboxes in the CITYterm Office) by 11:00 pm on Wednesday Night.
- Ensure permissions are emailed to permissions@CITYterm.org from your parent and your adult host (if not staying with your parents) by 11:00 am on Thursday.
- Confirm approval by checking the weekend leave status sheet by 11:00 am on Friday (sheet will be posted by 11:00 am on Thursday).
- Check out in person with the faculty member on duty.
- Check in with the faculty member on duty in person when you return. Call the duty phone if your arrival time needs to change.
Parental permission should include specific dates and times, mode of travel and acknowledgement that the student has permission to travel alone to his or her destination. Host invitations should include address, home phone number, and who will provide adult supervision. Parental permission and host invitations should be emailed to permissions@CITYterm.org.
If a student will be making repeated visits to one host during the term (i.e. grandma in the city), the parent may write a blanket permission giving the student permission to travel to that destination on any weekend the student wishes. The host may also write a blanket invitation. With a blanket permission students must still turn in their weekend leave form by noon on Thursday each time they wish to leave CITYterm.
There are generally 4 to 6 closed weekends during the term when weekend leaves are not permitted. During these weekends we focus on building and nurturing our CITYterm community together.