On Saturdays, 4:00-11:00 and on Sundays until 5:30, CITYtermers explore New York City in groups of three, discovering the main streets and hidden surprises that the city has to offer. Each week a group of students comes up with a set of options for the weekend, though there are three standing CITYterm challenges.
- Walk Manhattan, tip to tail: Start out at the northern tip of the island and wind your way down to Battery Park.
- The 5 Borough Ice Cream Challenge: In one day, eat ice cream in all 5 boroughs and maximize the types of transportation you use.
- NYSea: travel from Westchester to Manhattan to Queens, by boat!
Other Great Weekend Ideas
- Union Square Farmer’s Market: North side of Union Square, a great place to people watch, grab a snack, or shop.
- The Angelika Film Center: 18 W. Houston Street (between Broadway and Mercer). This is a great movie theater that shows independent films. Take the B/D/F/Q to Broadway/Lafayette, or the N/R to Prince Street, or the 6 Bleecker Street. Check their website for show times.
- Yogaworks: Has four locations in Manhattan (downtown, midtown, eastside and westside) and one in nearby Irvington.
- Brooklyn Museum of Art: This is a great museum in a great area with great restaurants and it is right next to Prospect Park. Free with special events the first Saturday of each month. Take the 2/3 to Eastern Parkway/Brooklyn Museum.
- AMF Chelsea Piers Bowl - Hudson River between Piers 59 & 60
- Bowlmor Lanes - 110 University Place in Greenwich Village
- Chelsea Piers: This sports multiplex includes a driving range, bowling, ice and roller skating and field house for basketball, indoor soccer, rock climbing and gymnastics. Chelsea Piers is located at 23rd Street on the Hudson River. Visit their website for more information.
- Coney Island: Open April through September for strolling the boardwalk, eating Nathan's hotdogs, riding the rides and playing carnival games.
- The Empire State Building Observation Deck: 34th Street and 5th Avenue, Open Until Midnight.
- New York Knicks: The Knicks play at Madison Square Garden in the fall and winter. Visit their website for their game schedule.
- New York Liberty: New York's Women's NBA team plays at Madison Square Garden in the early summer through late fall. Visit their website for their game schedule.
- New York Mets at Shea Stadium in Queens. Visit their website for their game schedule.
- New York Yankees at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx. Visit their website for their game schedule.
- The Staten Island Ferry: Always free. Ferries leave from South Ferry every 30 minutes.